Estimated reading time: 1 minute
On 19th January 1958, the Argentinian Grand Prix was held in Buenos Aires, as the first round of that year’s world championship. Only ten drivers took part, of which no less than nine were at the wheel of cars built in Italy: there were six Maseratis entered by private teams and three Ferrari 246 F1s, entered by the official Maranello Scuderia. In the end, it was the only British car, the Cooper, that won with Stirling Moss at the wheel. Alongside him on the podium were Ferrari drivers Luigi Musso and Mike Hawthorn, while the third car, in the hands of Peter Collins, had to retire at the start with a broken half-shaft. The local hero, reigning World Champion Manuel Fangio, finished fourth in his Maserati, despite having started from pole and setting the race fastest lap.